Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Another Lazy Tuesday: The more you know...


I'm going to do you a favor. I'm going to take you back to a simpler time, when disco was dying, cocaine was heir-apparent to the most-used-drug throne, and the AIDS epidemic wasn't a twinkle in Satan's eye, yet. Oh, and Star Wars was changing the way we looked at movies in the same way The Beatles changed the way we look at music - let it be known I will hear no argument on either of those points.

However, I think you will concede that Star Wars was a pretty big deal. And the late-70's/early-80's were also a big time for the after-school special and, oh God yes, the public service announcement (Aside: Do PSA's even exist on TV anymore? I don't watch enough network television these days to know...). Wouldn't it be great if someone had thought to combine the two most powerful forces for good in the universe and oh, that's right, they did.

There's a Star Wars PSA about driving under the influence...


...a PSA about childhood immunizations, in which R2-D2 reveals himself as a hypochondriac (which surprised me, as C-3PO seems to be the anal-retentive droid)...


... and one against smoking:


I would like to declare Shenanigans on this one for two reasons: 1) Smoking is cool, kids; and 2) R2 is definitely much older than 3PO, so it seems to me that the protocol droid is the less wizened of the two.

And now that I've saved you from traffic accidents, Polio, and lung cancer, allow me to toss it to an intra-galactic PSA courtesy of PeeWee Herman, who will tell you about the dangers of crack cocaine (the updated version of which would probably be The Wiggles warning kids about meth):

No comments:

Post a Comment